I love cheese. Becoming vegan was a hard transition for me at first due to my love of cheese. After eating too much cheese one winter I could feel how much it slowed me down. I slowly weaned myself off and soon realized how hard cheese was on my digestive system. I would cheat here and there but could honestly feel the difference and soon decided to cut it out completely. It made me feel great, I could instantly feel the difference!
I became fond of soy cheese; it's readily available at the store and is a great treat when having nachos or lasagna. Lately I've been trying to cut back on soy and am trying to make my own favorite buys. With cheese being a high priority I thought I'd attempt a savory cheese spread. It worked out fabulously in our lasagna! Enjoy it as a spread on bread, crackers, and as a "cheese" in recipes.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- Add favorite seasoning! I added a dash of liquid smoke to give it a smoky flavor! Plus some garlic salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and cumin.
- Opt: Add nutritional yeast for a very cheesy flavor!
- Soak almonds and cashews for 2+ hours and drain
- Add 1/3 cup water, lemon juice and garlic
- To taste: seasoning above and opt for nutritional yeast if handy
- Blend for 5 min scrape sides
- Leave on counter in Tupperware at room temperature for 24-48 hours but not longer. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
I'd love to hear from you, like me on Facebook! Or leave a comment below!
Buy my book today! ON SALE!!!
Check out my before and after pictures on my new up and coming website!
Best wishes for a wonderful day!
In good health and happiness,