I picked up some black rice at the market last week. It's referred to as Forbidden Black Rice. Legend says it was originally grown only for the emperors of China.
Some term it the new superfood! "Just a spoonful of black rice bran contains more health promoting anthocyanin antioxidants than are found in a spoonful of blueberries, but with less sugar and more fiber and vitamin E antioxidants," said Dr Zhimin Xu at the Louisiana State University.
"Like fruits, "black rice" is rich in anthocyanin antioxidants, substances that show promise for fighting heart disease, cancer, and other diseases."
I decided to make some for lunch! I cooked the rice in our rice cooker and within 30 minutes the nutty fragrance had my attention. Once cooked the rice turns into a rich deep purple that offsets bright colors magnificently! Sushi seemed like the next right step. Before I knew it I was rolling, slicing and noshing on the most satisfying vegan sushi yet, I call it forbidden sushi! For only those seeking shall find this hearty and nutritious one-of-a-kind recipe! ;)
So let's get down to business...what's in it and how to make it!
Roasted Seaweed with forbidden black rice and fresh organic vegetables!
Sliced to perfection!
Served with hearty forbidden black rice!
A "V" for Vegan!
Topped with fresh edamame!
- 2 Roasted Seaweed Nori Sheets
- 1 cup forbidden black rice - precooked
- 1 cup edamame - precooked
- 2 organic carrots - sliced very thin
- 1/2 avocado - sliced
- 1 jalapeno - sliced thin
- 1 tomato - sliced thin (I used a yellow heirloom)
- Small handful fresh mung bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup jicama - sliced into chunks
- Precook rice in rice cooker and allow to cool.
- Cook edamame in pot of boiling water, drain and set aside.
- Take 1 sheet of roasted seaweed
- Add approximately 1/4 + cup of forbidden rice to cover the surface of the seaweed sheet leaving a little edge to roll.
- Add fresh vegetables. Carrots, avocado, jalapeno (opt), tomato, mung beans, and jicama.
- Roll carefully, slice with a sharp knife into bite sized sushi pieces.
- Pack 1/2 cup with rice and place in center of plate. Place sushi around the rice, sprinkle edamame and top rice with carrots for a "V" for vegan and enjoy till your heart is content!
Like me on Facebook!
Buy my book today! ON SALE!!!
Check out my website!