Happy Friday all! It's a beautiful day in sunny CA and the harvest is sweet! I stepped on the porch to find some beautiful strawberries, a pepper and some tomatoes ripening nicely, what a nice treat!
Lately I've been craving comfort foods so the other night I whipped up some BBQ Tempeh bites and man are they good! They are great even cold as leftovers haha but best hot. This is great recipe that can be modified and enjoyed a number of ways! A great base for many creative eats!
I started with the following ingredients:
- 2 tbl grapeseed oil (Use vegetable broth and opt for oil free cooking!)
- 2 pckg tempeh - crumbled
- 2 carrots - chopped finely (I used the food processor)
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 jalapeno
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried thyme, basil, oregano
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds or tahini
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce + 2 tbsp to brush on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil mini muffin pan or desired pan.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the tempeh, vegetables and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the seasoning and stir in for another 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour vegetable mixture in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mash together well, folding the mixture together, kneeding it like dough.
- Press the mixture into a prepared pan, bake for 40-45 minutes, serve hot with favorite sides! NUM!