I picked up an eggplant starter last year at Trader Joe's not knowing it produce a very generous amount. Just getting familiar with the plant I thought I'd start with a dip!
It morphed into a hummus dip mixed with roasted eggplant, garlic and onions. I served ours ours with with oven roasted tofurkey links and fresh sweet corn on the cob! This would serve as a great appetizer for parties!
Roasted Vegetable Hummus Dip:
- 1 can organic chick peas - rinsed / drained set aside
- 1 Japanese eggplant - cut in half lengthwise
- 1 red onion - ends cut off / cut in half
- 1/2 garlic bulb
- 2 tsbp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes + to add spice
- Sriracha hot sauce to taste
- 2 Carrots - peeled and sliced
- 3 celery sticks - sliced
Tofurkey & Corn:
- 2+ tofurkey links (1/person)
- 2+ pieces corn on the cob (1/person)
- EarthBalance Vegan Spread
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 4+ mushrooms - remove stem
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Lightly oil eggplant and place face down. Lightly oil onion and place on pan, oil the garlic bulb and wrap in tinfoil surrounding completely. Add oil to mushrooms and cover with tinfoil. (Add some vegetable broth or seasoning for added flavor.)
- Place Tofurkey and place on pan with vegetables.
- Shuck the corn, cover with vegan spread, add salt and pepper. Cover with tinfoil.
- Bake 30 minutes
- While baking, place hummus ingredients into blender less carrots and celery.
- Add roasted eggplant, 1/2 roasted onion and garlic to mix once cool. Blend until it forms a dip like consistency. Place in bowl, garnish with red pepper flakes and raw vegetables.
- Serve with torfurkey and corn on the side. OR with pita bread and your favorite raw vegetables! Enjoy!