Last night we feasted on BBQ Tempeh "Cheese" burgers with all the fixin's. Served on top of a bed of lettuce with raw onion, jalapenos, pickles and fresh tomatoes from the garden. We enjoy these so much that I typically double the recipe!
- 1 8 oz package tempeh - shredded
- 2-3 tsp fresh herbs (Oregano, Sage, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme) - chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/3 cup oats
- 3 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1/2 onion - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp kansas style BBQ sauce
- dash of hot sauce / siracha sauce
- 3-4 tbsp water
- oil for frying (I used sunflower)
I used the following toppings but always love to mix it up!
- Pickled Jalapeno Slices
- Red onion - sliced
- Dill Pickle - sliced
- Tomato - sliced
- Handful of Veggie cheese - shredded
- Handful of lettuce
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and knead for a few minutes to mix everything well.
- Shape patties by pressing into a metal ring.
- Preheat oil over med-high heat, cook for 5 min or so each side. Add bbq sauce and veggie cheese to patty, cover with a lid to melt.