Fried okra, cajon black beans and a garden fresh salad is enough to make anyone smile. I fell in love with okra when I first tried it. My first thought was, where have you been all my life? I love it so much, I have some growing on our front porch.
This recipe can easily be substituted with a different vegetable. I know it's not as healthy as it could be but man oh man is it good! Enjoy!
Cajon Black Beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- Red pepper flakes - to taste
- Sriracha hot sauce - to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1/4 white onion or bulb of green onion - chopped
- Sliced avocado
- Heat over low heat until warm. 5-10 minutes. Serve with avocado on top.
- aprox. 1 lb of okra sliced or substitute your favorite vegetable
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes or to taste (we like it spicy - feel free to use less)
- Sriracha hot sauce (1/2 - 1 tbsp)
- Garlic salt - 1 tsp
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 2 tbsp flax meal with warm water (set aside to make "egg")
- Heat sunflower oil over med-high heat until hot
- Place okra in pan and heat for 25-30 minutes, until very crispy.
Garden Fresh Salad
- 1/2 cup pre-cooked quinoa mixed with soy sauce
- Handful of spinach
- 1 piece of cabbage - chopped
- green onions - chopped
- 1 tomato - sliced
- 1 avacodo - sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves - sliced
- Place quinoa on the bottom of the bowl.
- Add ingredients and serve with your favorite dressing