Rice, garbanzo beans, chard and tofurkey blend together harmoniously in this delicious new creation! We had Jerry's 12 year old son JJ over, he smelled what Jerry and I were eating and decided he had to have some. I couldn't believe it. While not a huge fan of the garbanzo beans, he loved the tofurkey and even liked the chard!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tofurkey - (Italian sausage) chopped
- Pre-cooked rice
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, drained (or subst: kidney beans)
- 1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Orgnanic Red Swiss Chard - stem removed, rinsed & chopped
- 1 tomato sliced (I was out.)
- 1/2 lemon or 1 very small lemon, juiced
- 4 pieces of a sliced Baguette
- Earth balance butter
- Garlic Salt
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Stir in onions and garlic; cook and stir 3-5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
- Stir in tofurkey and pre-cooked rice. Pan fry 3-5 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans and heat through.
- Add seasoning (Feel free to add more, I typically don't measure so they are estimates), stir to mix throughout.
- Place chard in pan and cook until wilted. If you have tomato slices add them. Squeeze lemon juice over greens and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot!
- Heat sliced baguette in the same pan, add earth balance butter and garlic salt. Dig in!