Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Protein Balls

For quite some time my husband and I have been using protein bars as meal replacements. Come to find out it's a lot healthier to have them every once in a while verses every day. Since then we've been eating a lot more fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts and grains at lunch. We ran into a great recipe in our biking magazine, I modified it a bit and found it to be simple, easy and delicious! I like to freeze them and then eat them through out the day at work. Give it a try!

Chocolate Pistachio Protein Balls


Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup raw, shelled nuts. (I used pistachios, feel free to use: Mixed, almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, brazil etc.)
  • 1/4 cup seeds (I used sunflower, use your favorite or skip them and use 1 cup of nuts)
  • 4 dried figs or 1/3 cup dates
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons of protein powder (I used chocolate hemp)
  • 1 tablespoon agave + a little squeeze if needed
  • Pinch of salt
Directions:
  1. Place nuts in food processor, process into a fine meal.
  2. Add balance of ingredients.
  3. Process until the mixture holds together when squeezed.
  4. Roll into quarter size balls and press into bite size pieces.
Store in a refrigerator for up to a week or a freezer for up to a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment